ABOUT TATE StICKLES:
Tate Stickles is Of Counsel to Tannenbaum Helpern Syracuse & Hirschtritt and a resident of the firm’s Fort Lauderdale office.
Tate focuses his legal practice on e-commerce, information technology, outsourcing, and telecommunications matters, with a special emphasis and extensive experience in negotiating and drafting complex contracts. He represents clients of all sizes, from the Fortune 500 to small start ups, including software developers and distributors, Internet service providers, and computer network, hardware, and communications companies.
Tate brings a strong technical background and years of software industry experience to his practice. A cum laude graduate of the University of Arizona’s nationally acclaimed Management Information Systems program, Tate started his career as a computer analyst with Sunquest Information Systems supporting their software across a variety of computer systems. The position allowed him to gain extensive experience working on a variety of systems, from standard desktop computers and client-server applications, to more powerful operating systems and mainframes.
Tate then attended law school at the University of Miami with the sole purpose of practicing e-commerce, information technology, outsourcing, and telecommunications law, crafting his course load and gaining experience while in law school to focus on his chosen practice area. While in law school Tate worked as a research assistant for one of his professors, and clerked with one of Florida’s larger law firms in that firm’s technology practice.
Tate was named to Super Lawyer’s 2013& 2014 New York Rising Stars lists.
A powerful technical background coupled with his legal experience allows Tate to work effectively with technology professionals of all levels in negotiating and drafting complex technology contracts, advising clients on issues of strategic planning, and securing clients’ intellectual property rights.
- Negotiated a multimillion dollar data and IP services contract for a Fortune 500 company with a major U.S. telecommunications company.
- Negotiated multimillion dollar managed service agreements for a Fortune 500 company with two major U.S. telecommunications companies.
- Worked as an associate to the General Counsel of a fast growing telecommunications software company named to the Inc. 500 (Inc. Magazine’s annual list of the fastest growing private companies in the U.S.).
- Performed intellectual property due diligence related to a multimillion dollar acquisition by a Fortune 500 company.
- Counseled a Fortune 500 company on a multi-million dollar outsourcing agreement.
- Negotiated the procurement of complex computer systems, networks, and software for a variety of businesses.
- Reviewed, advised, and drafted non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) for a variety of IT clients. Negotiated the terms of these NDAs with companies in the U.S., U.K., France, Israel, South America, Hong Kong, and the Caribbean.
- Negotiated and drafted application service provider (ASP) agreements.
- Drafted employment agreements for individuals, independent contractors, and consultants working with E-Commerce clients, ensuring all intellectual property developed became the property of the hiring company.
- Counseled an E-Commerce client on a number of credit card processing agreements.
- Counseled ASPs and other IT companies on a variety of vendor colocation, hosting, and service level agreements.
- Counseled clients and coordinated with outside counsel as required in a variety of jurisdictions (both in the U.S. and abroad) relating to IT transactions, agreements, and litigation matters.
- Counseled clients qualifying as online service providers on how to seek the safe harbor protection offered by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act from copyright infringement claims.
- Drafted numerous information technology contracts for clients.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 2004
- University of Arizona B.S. in Management Information Systems, cum laude, 1999
- Auburn University, B.A. in History, 1991
- Member of the Florida Bar and New York Bar